Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day's End!

Alright, so we decided where to eat lunch tomorrow and it's Village Tavern. I've decided on my meal (that way I can't change it) and I just need to ask them to make a few tweaks (no cheese, sauce on the side) and it should be good to go! So excited to finally try spaghetti squash. Anyways, after work today I ran to Whole Foods and got some almond butter and grapes. I've bought almond butter before but never really used it in cooking/eating etc. (see later paragraph)

Anyways, after that I decided to go to LA Fitness. Holy boringness. That is the most un-motivating place. I got on the treadmill and did a walk, ran for a bit, then did sprint on a incline of 11-12 for 20 seconds each (took part of an endurance WOD and modified it) Well, without someone yelling at me or music pumping me up or someone to cheer me on, I walked around the gym for a minute. Studied the scary weight area where ONLY guys were working out and decided I'd just go do sprints on the rower. Did some of those and called it a day. Yea, I sweat and feel okay but it was not a CF workout and it sure as hell wasn't today's WOD. What an eye opener. Sure, I could have pushed myself to run more or go work on deadlifts, but unfortunately the people there looked like boring drones and it just wasn't for me. I am happy I finally got something aerobic in though! I'll see what time I get back to Atlanta tomorrow but I may be stuck going for a run outside (I HATE RUNNING!) or back at LA fitness (see my last capital letters...)

On to dinner and snack. I came in from the gym and was starving, I really needed some energy. I cut up and apple and ate it with almond butter. There's no way to describe how good it tasted. WOW. What have I been missing. What an awesome snack! I brought dinner with me home (staying in Alpharetta for the evening). I pre-made a salad (small side) and I added spinach, eggs, bacon, olive oil, splash of balsamic, and chicken. I also had the other 1/2 of the burger meat. I heated that up but never ended up eating it. I ate my small salad and my mom had made noodles, green beans and ... meatloaf... for dinner! The meatloaf looked delicious, I had a small piece but no more. She said it's ground beef, about 1/3 cup tomato sauce, some breadcrumbs to hold it together, and onions and seasonings. It's not bad for you by any means (although I assume she didn't buy the leanest meat) but I didn't want to make it a cheat with the sauce and breadcrumbs. So a small piece and that was it. She actually wouldn't let me have anymore she said - which leads me to my next paragraph..... the 'what the hell is paleo' talk with my parents.

So I've eaten pasta my whole life. Yes, I love pasta. I love sauces, the love the 2 together. I especially love bread. So my parents are confused by what's been going on for the past few weeks. My dad actually laughed at me, not only today, but this weekend at the GT tailgate. He thought I was ridiculous and could not keep it up etc etc. Honestly, I was hurt. I explained to them both that I'd appreciate the support and it's not the easiest thing. Then i was questioned, this isn't something i claim to be a master at or all-knowing. I'm giving it a shot. So, why meat, chickens weren't alive back then (yea...i know what you are thinking..) they didn't have this and that. Well, i understand that didn't have brownies 10234328798 years ago, but I can make brownies out of all natural ingredients (paleo). What about sauces and cans that say "all natural". Well, I guarantee that they aren't. Flip them over and read the ingredients. We also discussed lean cuisines and how those are NOT good for you no matter how they promote their lower calories and lower sodium meals. The comments that hurt the most were centered around 'let's see how long you keep this up'. Thanks! I've been supported through graduating GT, playing sports, traveling and having a job, but this one thing seems to be different. Great. At the end of dinner, I felt like they did have a better sense of paleo eating, and by better, i mean, they know more now then the nothing they did before. I encouraged them to give it a try and it more or less got shot down. Going over and above, I encouraged them to try CF, and got a ton of excuses from my dad (he has had a lot of medical problems) but I'm sure they could both be more active. Anyways, it's a topic I'd be happy to bring up again at another time. End of story - another good day of eating and some decent conversation with my family. I'm excited for them to warm up to the idea of healthier eating and possibly trying to incorporate some paleo/workout action in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment